The recent PDA Workshop, co-produced with Hull Parent Carer Forum, was very informative and increased our understanding of Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA). It helped us to develop specific strategies for living with children who have PDA.
PDA Key Features
- Resists and avoids the ordinary demands of life
- Uses social strategies as part of avoidance
- Appears sociable but lacks understanding
- Experiences excessive mood swings and impulsivity
- Appears comfortable in role play and pretence
- Displays obsessive behaviour often focused on other people